Let’s face it, ringtones are expensive on the iTunes Music Store. Most of the time, buying a 30-second ringtone of your favorite song is more expensive than buying the full song! But Apple doesn’t give you much choice. True, there are ringtone creator apps available in the App Store, but these require you to connect your iPhone to a computer and then use iTunes to sync the tone to your device.
What if you want to create and install iPhone ringtones using only your iPhone? It’s possible and we’ll show you how in the video above. All you’ll need is the song on your iPhone and Apple’s GarageBand app. Our video explains how to carry out the steps below.
1) Launch the GarageBand app and add an instrument. If no song is open, create a new one by tapping the + in the upper left.
2) Increase the song length by tapping the + symbol in the upper right corner near the 8. Increase the bars to 20 or more. Tap Done.
3) If the Track view button appears in the upper left, tap it. If not, add another instrument.
4) Tap the Loop Browser button (looks like a loop) in the control bar, then tap Music.
5) You can search for songs by name, or browse by album, artist, genre, or playlist. Make sure the song you want resides on your device and not in the cloud (if using iTunes Match). See video.
6) To preview a song, tap it in the list.
7) Tap and hold on a song to drag it into Tracks view. Align the left edge of the song with the bar or beat on the ruler where you want it to start playing.
8) Adjust song position to where you want the ringtone to start and end. Do this my grabbing the start and end handles.
9) Once the song is the right length, tap the down arrow in the upper left. Tap My Songs to exit Track view.
10) Tap Select in the upper right. Highlight your song by taping on it. Then tap the Share icon (looks like a square with and arrow).
11) Select Ringtone from the Share sheet. Name your ringtone and the tap Export in the upper right.
12) Lastly, you can use the sound as a ringtone, text tone, or assign it only to a specific contact. And your done. The new ringtone can also be found in your Settings app under Sounds.
Check out this video to see how to do it.
Soon you’ll be creating iPhone ringtones right on your iPhone for free!