While I wouldn’t want a physical keyboard built into iPhone or iPad, I must admit typing on a screen isn’t the most enjoyable experience. The less you need to type the better. That’s where iOS keyboard shortcuts will come in handy. The idea here is that you type a little text and then it expands into a full phrase, sentence, or paragraph. This works out to be a great workflow for text you find yourself typing over and over again.
– Inserting your email address
– Changing keyboard punctuation marks into real emojis
– Expanding “ty” into “Thank you!”
– Quickly sharing often used website addresses
– Converting a phrase in one language into another
– Expand a shortcut into a full email text that you send often
These are just some ideas but the possibilities can be endless based on your personal scenario. In order to create your own shortcuts, on your iPhone or iPad go to Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts. Now tap the + button in the upper right. Then enter the phrase you want to be automatically typed. Next, enter the shortcut you want to trigger that phrase. That’s it. Now anytime you type that shortcut on your device, it will expand into the full phrase. Pretty cool, huh?