Google Photos has just been released in the App Store! Google Photos wants to store all, and I mean all, your photos for free. That’s right Google is offering unlimited photo storage through this new app. But beware of how Google plans to use your photos. There is always a cost to using Google services as, in the end, your information is what they sell to advertisers.
Take a look at all the details below and if you’re interested in more photography apps for your iPhone and iPad, check out our selection of the Best iPhone Photography Apps. And you can always find more of the Best New iPhone Apps here or simply subscribe to our Newsletters to get notified via email.
Google Photos is a smarter home for all your photos and videos, made for the way you take photos today.
“The best photo product on Earth” – The Verge
“Google Photos is your new essential picture app” – Wired
“Upload the pictures, and let Google Photos do the rest” – The New York Times
• FREE UP SPACE: Never worry about running out of space on your phone again. Photos that are safely backed up can be removed from your device’s storage in just a tap.
• VISUAL SEARCH: Your photos are now searchable by the people, places and things in them—no tagging required.
• SMARTER SHARING: With smart sharing suggestions, giving your friends the photos you took of them is painless. And they can add their photos, too, so you’ll finally get the photos you’re actually in.
• MOVIES AND GIFS, MADE FOR YOU: Get automatically created movies, collages, GIFs, and more from your photos. Or easily create them yourself.
• ADVANCED EDITING: Transform photos with a tap. Use intuitive and powerful photo and video editing tools to apply content-aware filters, adjust lighting, and more.
• SMART AUTOMATIC ALBUMS: Tell better stories, without the work. Automatically get a new album with just your best shots after an event or trip, then invite others to add their photos.
• LIVE ALBUMS: Share your latest photos with Live Albums. Select the people and pets you want to see and Google Photos will automatically add photos of them as you take them, no manual updates needed.
• SHARED LIBRARIES: Share without sharing. Grant a trusted person access to all of your photos.
• REDISCOVER: Get collages of photos you took a year ago on this day – perfect for #tbt.
• GOOGLE LENS: Search what you see. This preview enables you to identify text and objects in your photos to learn more and take action.
• ON YOUR TV: View your photos and videos on your TV with Chromecast and Airplay support.
• FREE STORAGE: Back up unlimited photos and videos for free for up to 16 megapixels and 1080p HD and access them from any device and photos.google.com—your photos are safe, secure, and private to you.
You can also upgrade storage for your Google Account, used for Original Quality photos and videos, Google Drive and Gmail by subscribing to Google One, an expanded storage plan. Subscriptions start at $1.99/month for 100 GB in the US. Pricing and availability can vary by region.
Storage subscriptions purchased in-app will be charged to your iTunes Account, and automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Subscriptions and auto-renewal may be managed by going to iTunes Account Settings after purchase.
Google One Terms of Service: https://one.google.com/terms-of-service
Note: Face grouping is not available in all countries.
For the latest updates from the team, follow us on Twitter at @googlephotos
Using GPS in the background can decrease battery life. Google Photos doesn't run GPS in the background unless you turn on optional features.
We want you to know about the best new iPhone apps as they hit the App Store. So we only include the best ones that are worth your time. If you want to see some of our past selections, check out the following list.